Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Dewey Redman (1931-2006)

I never had a chance to hear Dewey Redman live, but I used to play lots of albums featuring his brilliant sax playing on the radio back in my KZSU days. Pat Metheny's "80/81," Keith Jarrett's American Quartet in the 70s (with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian), Ornette Coleman LPs, and the wonderful band Old and New Dreams all made frequent appearances on my radio show. Now Charlie Haden is the only survivor of that last group, which also featured Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell (another great player whom I never heard live). Live long, Charlie.

I haven't yet found an English obituary; a German one appeared in the NZZ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you'll find one in the Arts - Music section of NYT online with a very recent photo.

also Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter," died in a marine accident yesterday or the day before. it seems that right now it's "dying season" for celebs (Naguib Mahfouz, Gyorgy Faludy, Glenn Ford, ...).