Friday, September 29, 2006

Fire on the Mountain, Ventura, July 13, 1985

Mr. Jumbo has posted some pictures of wildfires currently burning along his biking route in Southern California. They reminded me of a Dead show in Ventura, CA, on July 13, 1985. From the fairgrounds, in the mountains on the other side of the city, a quiet drama was taking place before the show: a wildfire was creeping down the hillside toward some houses. My sight might have been playing tricks on me (or my memory is playing tricks now), but I can still picture how the arcs of water were playing over the roofs of houses to keep them dry. Then the Dead came out and opened with "One More Saturday Night" seguing nicely into, you guessed it, "Fire on the Mountain."

I thought I'd put a link to the Live Music Archive recording of the show here, but for some reason it is no longer available. So anyone who wants to hear that version of FOTM will have to get a copy from me!

1 comment:

mrjumbo said...

I apologize for misleading, though I thank you for the hat tip. The photos were taken through the window of a fast-moving car on Interstate 5, not from a bike seat. I haven't cruised the Grapevine pass on two wheels yet, though it sounds like good fun. Maybe after the smoke clears the ride would be more healthy.